Monday, April 4, 2016

Week 3: Little White Girl Takes Chitungwiza

Yes, they do call me little white girl here! Chitungwiza is something else!

We're about a 45 minute kombi ride from Harare, and it's really beautiful. Kombis are 13 passenger vans, but there's usually about 28 people in them. If there's not room, people will just sit on your lap. Yes, that's real. 


I've been so surprised by how shocked everyone is to see me! We'll be walking down the street and someone will see me and yell "muroogoo!" and then everyone will turn and yell "how are you!" All the little kids chase after me and just giggle. They're so stinkin cute! Always lifts my spirits. 

My companion's name is Sis Jili, and she's AMAZING. She's from SA and knows a little bit of Shona, so that makes things easier when contacting. But people love trying to speak English with me. 

Last night we had dinner at a members house (we ate caterpillars), and we got there at about 5:30 and then didn't eat until 9:00. We call that African Standard Time. Nothing starts on time around here, except for church! Hooray for church! They asked me to give my testimony during sacrament meeting, and the whole meeting was really nice. Everyone asked if they could touch my hair. They would tug on it and ask if it was real and then be appalled when I told them it was. Haha too great. 

We have four investigators preparing for baptism right now, and we're crossing our fingers that they go through! We're trying to work out some stuff with legal marriages and word of wisdom issues, but we're getting there. The people here are so willing to listen and learn. I love them!

*drum roll please* WE ARE GETTING A TEMPLE!!! Hallelujah! Amen! We haven't watched conference yet but we got the good news last night!!! The people here are so faithful and I know that a temple will just change their lives! Harare! Harare!
The gospel is truly a message of hope for the people of Chitungwiza. Hope for happiness in this life, and a better life after death. The past couple weeks, I've really gained a testimony of missionary work (imagine that). We've been so incredibly blessed by the gospel all our lives, and I can't imagine trying to keep that happiness to myself. If that means I have to walk miles and miles in 102 degree weather and eat caterpillars every day, I can do that. You can do anything for 18 months, right? Let's do this thing.

I love you all so much and thank you for your emails!! President Mkhabela has given us permission to email our friends now because the mailing system is so unreliable.

Please enjoy the nice spring weather for me! Please!!

"And he denieth none that come unto him; black and white, bond and free, male and female; and he remembereth the heathen, and all are alike unto God"

xoxo Sister Richards











No comments:

Post a Comment