Monday, June 6, 2016

Week 12: Diet Coke & Miracles

Hello my people!!

Good week down in Chi Town! Definitely starting to see some success, and the work is moving forward!

First off, major shout out to my one and only Mother Mary for the heaven-sent package of Diet Coke and candy from Ghana. Honestly has kept me alive this week (you think I'm kidding, but I'm not). Sister Jili and I laid on our beds, drank diet coke, and enjoyed the serenity of a chopin nocturne playing in the background. I thought I was in paradise for a second but then I was like shoot still definitely in Zimbabwe. Although, Zim comes pretty close to paradise sometimes. THANK YOU, MOM!

Before I get to the good stuff, you may have seen on the news, but Zimbabwe is experiencing a major financial crisis, there's pretty much no money in the whole entire country. So when I said the package was keeping me alive, I was serious because we have hardly any food. All the missionaries were joking that it was easy to fast on Sunday because we actually had no choice haha. We're hoping to find a bank with cash today, and praying that Pick n Pay will let us swipe our cards so we can get groceries! Nevertheless, God will always take care of his missionaries, and somehow someway, we've been able to eat every day!

On a happier note, we had a baptism this week! Brother Godfrey, my favorite human being in all of Zimbabwe, was baptized yesterday and it was so happy. He bore a powerful testimony of the Prophet Joseph and the Restoration afterwards, and wow I was just so happy. Baptizing father-led families is so important, because generations upon generations will be blessed from that one family!

We've found a lot of new people to teach this week, and it's been great! We have this baba and gogo that I love so much, and they came to church yesterday! As we taught the restoration this week, I recited Joseph Smith's first vision, and at the end, baba sat up and said (edited version), "Well shoot! This is a miracle!!". I think we often forget how miraculous the restoration of the church is, but this baba so kindly reminded me (with a little bit of colorful language) that I witness a miracle every day! Haha the best.

"Blessed be the name of my God, who has been mindful of us, wanderers in a strange land." 
Zimbabwe is definitely still a strange land, but for sure throughout this week, I have seen that God is mindful of all of us, no matter where we are!

Love you all!!
Love, Sister Richards 


Brother Godfrey at his baptism!!!!! I was so happy!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment