Monday, May 30, 2016

Week 11: Well, Obvious

Another week down in Chitown!! 

A little bit of a difficult week, but we're trying (again) to bring this area back to life! We're back in our Chi Town house, and there are padlocks everywhere cause a couple more people have tried to get in. But we lock literally EVERYTHING all of the time so there's no way anybody's getting in. 

First off, we were able to witness the confirmation of three of our investigators yesterday! It's really been amazing to watch these young men completely turn around their lives as they've come to a knowledge of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. And then, we were able to sustain Brother Albert and Wellington to receive the Aaronic Priesthood. So stinkin awesome. I was just sitting there in sacrament meeting just marveling at the fact that I was able to be apart of two people receive the priesthood! Brother Albert has already started Temple prep, and is going with the ward next winter to Johannesburg to go through the temple! What! I'm so happy for him.

We started teaching someone new this week named Brother Lloyd. He's 20, and is so incredibly prepared! Early in the week, we taught him the Restoration, and he was asking so many good questions and just trying to understand everything, and the spirit was just so strong. Then later we were able to teach him about the Book of Mormon, and I've never met an investigator who is so interested and fascinated as Lloyd is! We just gave him  a short passage to read and pray about before next time, but he said he wants to read the whole thing. Haha. Brother Lloyd that's a pretty long book. Anyways, so we extended baptism by the end, and he was kind of hesitant because he feels like he doesn't know everything yet. And we explained that it's okay and it will come with time, but once he does know that these things are true, will he get baptized. His response? "Well, obvious." So stay tuned for the baptism of Brother Lloyd. haha. 

We had a Family Home Evening with Brother Godfrey's family (Brother Godfrey is getting baptized next week, I am so excited!), and they brought us what they called "African Chocolate". And I'm like sweet I love chocolate. So they hand me a chunk and they're all chomping on this stuff and so I'm like okay must be pretty good so I throw a huge chunk in my mouth. STRAIGHT UP CLAY. I'm not even kidding you. Sister Jili was trying to signal to me not to eat it but I was just so excited to have this chocolate, BUT NO it's clay. Apparently it's like a winter treat or something. Ugh it was so sad bad. Do not eat african chocolate, you will regret it. 

Also, last thing. We were contacting SO much this week to try to find new people to teach. Anyways so we're contacting this guy and I invite him to church and everything and then he says something in shona and then I replied in shona and we just went back and forth for a while. And then after I walked away I was just like what the heck just happened. I just had a full on conversation in SHONA! Just call me a Zimbabwean, please.

"The best antidote I know for worry is work. The best medicine for despair is service. The best cure for weariness is the challenge of helping someone who is even more tired" President Gordon B. Hinckley 

Love you all!!

Love, Sister Richards 

No comments:

Post a Comment