Monday, June 27, 2016

Week 15: Rabbits and Guinea Pigs and Cows, Oh My!

First week in Mabvuku! What in the. I feel like I've been here for about 80 million years but it's okay! My companion is great and can talk until you would think a person wouldn't physically be able to talk any more, but we're doing just fine haha. She's powerful and the people here ADORE her. 

The area is probably about the size of all of china and russia and every big thing in the world combined, and we talk a ton! Mabvuku is pretty much just a ghetto version of Chi Town, so we have to be super careful, especially at night. We work in two wards (which means 6 hours of church on sunday wow) and the members here and SO involved! Seriously! Every single day we have members working with us which is so nice because of the language barrier. The members love to feed us, as in LOVE to feed us, and I'm not gonna lie, my skirts are getting a little bit tight (how does that even happen in a week), so some serious action needs to be taken ASAP!

Yesterday we were able to give four baptismal dates! If anything, the people of Mabvuku are prepared! We're teaching this family who belonged to this super crazy church before, and they want to be baptized so bad! At their other church they couldn't eat anything while the sun was up, they weren't allowed to go to school or be formally employed, and a bunch of other insane things. They're so great, and I'm so happy to be able to invite them to a not so crazy church. 

My companion, Sister Ngwenya, is making me try so many new foods! This week I had rabbit twice, guinea pig, sugar cane, and some part of a cow - I was too scared to ask what part cause it was funny funny. Haven't gotten sick yet. So many blessings.

I'm speaking in Zone Conference on Wednesday, so that's consuming my study time for now. When my Zone Leaders called to tell me, I told them that they must have called the wrong Sister Richards, but they assured me that I am, in fact, the only Sister Richards serving in the Zimbabwe Harare Mission. So I'll be speaking on staying cheerful in times of tribulation. Throughout the scriptures are pleads for us to be of good cheer, so I've loved studying more of those verses. The gospel is truly a message of hope! 

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Love you all! 

Love, Sister Richards 

My companion, sister ngwenya!

Sister Walbeck, my favorite person everrrr

No comments:

Post a Comment