Monday, July 11, 2016

Week 17: "And Then You Passed By"

No, that is not the name of the newest chick-flick in Zimbabwe, but the title of the most AMAZING experience I had this week! This week was such a great week, so I'll try to remember everything that happened. 

First off, we had 14 investigators at church! That sets the record for my mission so far, although that is split between the two wards we serve in. Still though, super exciting!

A man in Mabvuku 1st passed away this week, and it was very unexpected and tragic. Sister Ngwenya and I are pretty close with his two daughters that are both in young womens. We went to the funeral home to see the coffin carried out and it was the coolest thing! All of the ladies from the ward and the neighborhood were gathered around the body just singing in shona so loudly and clapping and dancing! They do that so the family will forget that they're sad and just celebrate the life that the person lived. I wish I had my camera that day, but they were all in their african wraps and wow it was just such a cool experience!

There was some political riot thing this week, so there was a day that none of the missionaries in the mission were allowed to go outside. So we had one day just stuck inside the house. Let me tell you, you can get through A LOT of conference talks in one day. Fortunately, that day we had power! We went four days this week without power AND water which makes life really difficult, but it came back on last night and I almost shed some tears of joy. 

Okay now for my story. So on Thursdays we go to Chizhanje (chee-janj-ay), which is about an hour and a half walk from where we stay. So our first couple appointments near home were all fall-throughs, so we started to head to Chizhanje early. I brought my camera that day, and so there was this funny funny street that my companion wanted to go down to get a picture. So we're like okay we have time so spare so we went. So as we're walking down this street, there's this lone house in the middle of nowhere, and a couple guys out front. They start yelling at us in shona, so we just wave and keep walking, then we decide to turn back and contact them. Well we ended up talking to them for almost two hours, and we able to answer a lot of their questions, and teach them the whole restoration! There was such a special spirit there, and I know the spirit led us to that home, even if it did just feel like a coincidence! The best part was, at the end, one of them said to me, "You helped me keep believing. I was about to give up, and then you passed by". Wow, my heart. They came to church on Sunday, and so we'll see them a couple more times this week! 

Congratulations to Bethany on the engagement! Welcome to the best family on earth, Dallen. Hope you all have an amazing week, and don't forget to be grateful for power and running water!

Love, Sister Richards

also didn't see the rat once this week so I'm hoping it's dead 

#1. finally did my photo wall this week!

#2. we had quail last week at our braii! super yummy 

#3. my very dirty, dusty, and windy mabvuku

#4. Area

#5. Area

#6. The ward had a Mormon Helping Hands activity this week that we stopped by for on our way to Chizhanje


#7. I learned how to wash by hand this week. My hands are RAW. It was so stinkin cold outside and the water was cold! Overall a really good experience, though.

#8. The bright and shiny result of my washing. Don't worry, the holes were there before.

#9. Gogo gave us the wraps to wear while we cleaned. We felt so african. 

No comments:

Post a Comment